Manual Lymphatic Drainage
What is Manual Lymphatic Drainage?
A specialist light-touch therapy which increases the flow of lymph around the body, aiding the removal of toxins, excess water, bacteria, metabolic waste and foreign substances from congested tissues or generally sluggish systems.
The lymphatic system is strongly involved in our bodies' immune response, so when it becomes less effective, eg due to poor diet, injury, infection or sedentary lifestyle, manual encouragement of lymphatic flow can be beneficial in boosting immunity and for the maintenance of good health.
Manual Lymphatic Drainage is extremely safe and non-invasive. It does not involve the 'massage of muscles', but the systematically applied stimulation of skin-receptors. In turn, these generate tiny muscular pulse-activity in lymphatic vessels beneath the skin surface, which then pump lymph through the body at an increased rate. Manual Lymphatic Drainage therefore feels super-light in comparison to other types of massage therapy and due to its rhythmic application is also incredibly soothing and relaxing.
Treatment is always tailored to the goals of each client, but is usually best (especially in cases involving oedema) delivered several times in the first week in conjunction with excellent self-care (eg gentle exercise and the avoidance of alcohol and salty/processed foods). The course of treatment is then usually extended less frequently over the next few weeks.
What is Manual Lymphatic Drainage useful for?
- Reducing oedema (swelling), eg in pregnancy or after injury
- After surgery which has damaged or removed lymph nodes (eg mastectomy)
- After liposuction & cosmetic surgical procedures & for improving cellulite
- In parallel to scar-tissue reduction massage treatment
- For those undertaking detox and/or with rapid weight-loss
- Combating limb fluid-retention in those with a sedentary lifestyle, eg the elderly, wheel-chair users
- Managing the symptoms of chronic fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgia
- Alleviating allergy response (eg hayfever-puffiness) & sinus congestion
- For those with lowered immunity experiencing frequent colds, chest infections, sore throats etc
- Before & after long-haul air travel
- Relaxation for people experiencing anxiety, depression or insomnia
- Managing migraines
- Managing arthritis symptoms such as joint swelling and inflammation
What happens during Manual Lymphatic Drainage?
The client relaxes on a massage couch whilst their therapist employs highly accurate, rhythmic, 1mm-deep skin movement techniques over key lymphatic sites across the body. The flow of treatment draws lymph along its natural anatomically-directional pathways, clearing blockages and encouraging increased lymphatic flow. No massage oil is used.
60 Minutes MLD: £55
Block Therapy Package for those booking 3 or more treatments: POA
Click here for Cancellation & Rescheduling policies
At the time of making your appointment, you will be asked about your reason for booking MLD, as it would be helpful for me to understand in advance what sort of treatment you need (eg MLD for relaxation requires a different approach to MLD post-cosmetic surgery).
Before commencing any treatment, at your first appointment I will also conduct a full health and well-being assessment in order to understand whether you have any conditions or issues which might be affected. It is an opportunity for me to answer any questions you might have and for me to understand what you are hoping to achieve through your treatment.
This initial assessment process takes approx 20-30 minutes and is free of charge. At subsequent appointments, we naturally review any health changes and your progress before proceeding.